Friday 17 July 2009

Waiting is the worst part!!

The birds were basketed at 4pm this afternoon in readiness for the race tomorrow. I noticed yesterday at exercise I was down a bird and it was confirmed on basketing that one of the race team was missing. This bird has been trained 20 times upto 40 miles, so it doesnt look good for him. He must have hit wires or a hawk must of had him. So that was a bad start and somewhat annoying. The other 15 race birds were fit and therefore all sent. The race is from Swindon (76 miles) tomorrow and 6 members in the club sent 84 birds. The birds were looking well and I think I have given them the best chance I could have done. The weather forecast is not to bad and an early liberation is anticipated.
The Europa 1st Hotspot didnt go as planned and my birds recorded positions of 539, 658 and 805. There were 1,104 birds sent and 1008 birds were timed in. So thats 96 birds failed to time! All 3 were in the main bunch of birds and apart from the 1st two, all clocked within 5 minutes of each other. The short races are always a bit of a lottery I think. When the races get over 100 miles then the men will be sorted out from the boys! The pleasing thing is that all 3 are still in the running to be crowned Europa One Loft Champion and you have to be in it to win it as they say!

No comments:

Post a Comment