Tuesday 22 February 2011

First of the youngsters weaned

Tonight I have weaned the first 5 of this years youngsters. There are another 12 in the stock loft that will be weaned over as well in the next 2 to 3 days. I cleaned the loft out earlier and handled the youngsters in the nest and I have to be honest and say they are amongst some of the nicest youngsters I have ever bred. There are some real crackers among them and I can't wait to test them out.

I have split 4 pairs of the race birds and the hens are currently in their own section with the cock having the nestbox to himself. I have a further 4 pairs which are still sitting youngsters and once these have been weaned off they will be split as well. Once this has happened I will start exercising the birds daily - cocks and hens separately.

I have also been looking into joining the Welsh South Road National for the coming season. I have always fancied having a crack at this and feel this year I have the numbers to give it a go. The birds will be trained in the same direction as I train for the current South East route and then I am planning on giving 2 or 3 races on the South East route before switching a few of them to the South for the National races.

No comments:

Post a Comment