Thursday 2 May 2013

Now for the Youngsters!

I have now passed my driving test and therefore I will now be concentrating 100% on the coming young bird season. I have decided to scrap the Old Bird season this year and will just send our 2 experienced Old Birds to the longer races this year.
The young birds will be split into 2 teams and hopefully we will have around 80 birds in total and therefore each team will have 40 birds. I have the first team out grouping and flying for between 45 minutes and 90 minutes which is very pleasing. The other team have not yet arrived in the loft but hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks will all be settled into place.
The young birds we have at present are currently in the Aviary section but I will now move these across to the Old bird racing section so that the 2 Old birds can exercise with them. They will be that much older than the 2nd team so therefore can pick a box etc in the nestbox kitted out section.
I intend to loft fly the 1st team for the next 2-3 weeks daily and then hopefully will start with the basket work.
This year we have birds bred by ourselves in various lofts around the country. 4 have gone to the Somerset One Loft race, 4 have gone to B.Williams and Son for the Pigeon Pixels Welsh Region Classic Challenge and 4 have gone to Eamon Wright in Ireland for the Pigeon Pixels One Loft Race and Irish Region Classic Challenge. We will keep all informed on their progress throughout the season and hopefully they will do the loft proud.
I am intending to send the 2 Old birds to a race now in the next 2-3 weeks but they need to get fit first around the loft. The two did race the other week from Newbury 97 miles but returned off the pace. Now they are going to start exercising with the youngsters I hope they will soon come into form. I am looking at the channel races for these two birds though and all the inland races will soley be used for training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment